Charlotte, North Carolina — The International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) on Monday opened its 93rd annual Education and Business Conference, the association’s first in-person conference since 2019, at the Sheraton Charlotte Hotel.
During the conference’s opening session, IAPMO honored numerous individuals with awards recognizing unique contributions and long-standing support from members and industry allies. The awards and their recipients include:
● Legislator of the Year: U.S. Rep. Norma Torres (D-Calif.) from California’s 35th district
● President’s Green Oval: Shabbir Rawalpindiwala, retired Kohler Co. retired manager of Codes and
Standards; Tim Collings, retired senior building inspector, city of Salt Lake
● Joseph Kneidinger Sustainability Professional of the Year: Doug Bennett, conservation manager, Southern Nevada Water Authority
● Bruce Pfeiffer Committee Member of the Year: Rex Crawford, retired chief plumbing inspector, city of Lincoln, Nebraska
● American Flag Award: Jaime Valdivia, retired Piping Industry Progress and Education Trust Fund (P.I.P.E) director
● Industry Person of the Year: Ray Levangie, retired business manager, UA Local 398
● Government Person of the Year: John Nielsen, Plumbing and HVAC program manager, state of
● George Kauffman Lifetime Achievement Award: Dave Mann, retired business representative, UA
The association also introduced a new award, the IAPMO Fellow, to honor both longtime and more recent contributors of distinction. The inaugural class of inductees are: Bob Adler, Jim Anderlik, Denvert Boney, Ken Carlson, Tim Collings, Bob Courtnier, Rex Crawford, Dan Daniels, Mike Durfee, Larry Facer, Pennie Feehan, Doug Fredericksen, Tom Gugino, John Halliwill, Gary Hamilton, Sherry Hernandez, Gary Hile, Chuck Kirby, John Koeller, Bill Laub, Ray Levangie, Richard Lisle, Dave Mann, David McHenry, Danny Nunez, D.J. Nunez, Bruce Pfeiffer (posthumously), Tom Pitcherello, Linden Raimer (posthumously), Shabbir Rawalpindiwala, Phil Ribbs, Ron Rice, Arnie Rodio, Bob Siemsen, Larry Soskin, Jim Stack, Marylyn Stapleton, Dave Straub, Jaime Valdivia, Mike Wynne.
IAPMO CEO Dave Viola delivered the annual State of IAPMO report, and the keynote address was delivered by the International Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (IWSH) Foundation, updating IAPMO membership on recent initiatives in Lowndes County, Alabama, and the Navajo Nation to solve pressing issues affecting residents’ access to clean drinking water and safe sanitation systems.
IAPMO’s 94th annual Education and Business Conference will be held in San Antonio, Sept. 24-28, 2023.
Last modified: September 16, 2022