The International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) last week completed a productive 92nd annual Education and Business Conference online utilizing virtual meeting software.
IAPMO’s conference once again gathered experts in the plumbing and mechanical fields with in-the-trenches inspectors and manufacturers in a spirit of cooperation toward the advancement of the Uniform Codes. Members and other stakeholders participated in the Assembly Consideration Session, representing a vital step in the development of the 2024 editions of the Uniform Plumbing Code® (UPC) and Uniform Mechanical Code® (UMC). During this session, IAPMO members had the opportunity to submit public comments to the Report on Proposals developed during technical committee meetings earlier this year.
A code development timeline can be found HERE.
During the opening session, IAPMO honored 17 individuals who have gone above and beyond on behalf of the association with the following awards for 2021:
- 20-Plus Years of Committee Membership: Dave Levanger, Tim Collings, Jordan Krahenbuhl, Dave Straub, Richard Church and Dick Wagner
- Legislators of the Year: Texas State Rep. Senfronia Thompson and Nebraska State Sen. Justin Wayne
- IWSH Award: Katie Ashley and Sarah Ceurvorst, Milwaukee School of Engineering students; Jeremy Pavlich, Plumbers Local 68 director of Marketing and Recruitment
- Bruce Pfeiffer Committee Member of the Year: Bruce Pfeiffer, former Topeka, Kansas, senior plumbing inspector and IAPMO president (posthumous award)
- American Flag Award: Doug Marian, Southern California Pipe Trades District Council 16 assistant business manager
- Industry Person of the Year: Richard Lord, Plumbers Local Union 68 business agent
- Government Person of the Year: Tom Pitcherello, New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Codes and Standards Division, code specialist
- Joseph Kneidinger Sustainability Professional of the Year: Jim Kendzel, American Supply Association director of Codes and Standards
- George Kauffman Lifetime Achievement Award: Don Summers, retired former assistant director of Training for Plumbers and Pipefitters UA Local 562
Recently retired former IAPMO CEO GP Russ Chaney was honored by WorldSkills International with the Fellowship of WorldSkills Award recognizing outstanding contribution to WorldSkills and its global commitment to inspiring, showcasing and advancing skills excellence.
One of the nation’s preeminent experts on water policy and law, author Robert Glennon delivered the conference’s keynote address.
IAPMO’s 93rd annual Education and Business Conference will be held in Charlotte, N.C., Sept. 11-15, 2022.
Last modified: October 4, 2021