FALLS CHURCH, Va. – The Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors—National Association (PHCC) Educational Foundation is proud to announce the six plumbing students who received top honors in the plumbing competition during the annual SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference, held June 22nd and 23rd in Atlanta, Ga.
Members from the Foundation’s Plumbing Apprentice and Journeyman Training Committee serve on the SkillsUSA Plumbing Technical Committee. Committee members were on hand to set up, run. and assist with contest judging.
The PHCC Educational Foundation partners with SkillsUSA to sponsor the plumbing contest each year. The Foundation also supports the HVACR Contest. The SkillsUSA Championships is the nation’s largest hands-on workforce development event for middle school, high school, and college/post-secondary students enrolled in career and technical education programs. The SkillsUSA Championships occupy 1.79 million sq. ft. (31 football fields or 41 acres) of floor space. More than 6,000 students competed in 110 contests.
The Plumbing Contest winners were:
• 1st Place Secondary – Shadrach Roundy, Davis Technical College, Kaysville, Utah
• 1st Place Post-Secondary – Christopher Hayes, Pinellas Technical College, St. Petersburg, Fla.
• 2nd Place Secondary – Nicholas Gerasimov, Shawsheen Valley Technical High School, Billerica, Mass.
• 2nd Place Post-Secondary – Brent Offenberger, Rowan Cabarrus Community College, Salisbury, N.C.
• 3rd Place Secondary – Benjamin Tuck, Putnam Career & Technical Center, Eleanor, W.Va.
• 3rd Place Post-Secondary – Chris Martinez, Texas State Technical College – West, Brownwood, Texas
“The PHCC Educational Foundation is dedicated to improving the industry by helping students in the plumbing, heating and cooling fields reach their full potential. The SkillsUSA Championships competitions are an outstanding example of the professionalism that results when industry is joined with education,” said PHCC Educational Foundation CLO, Angela Collins.
Technical committee members for this year’s event included:
• Robert Hahn, Chair, Eastwick College, HoHoKus School of Trades, Union, N.J. (plumbing)
• Dale Powell, Project Manager, PHCC Educational Foundation, Gettysburg, Pa. (plumbing)
• Danny Crigler, III, L & D Coates Inc., Aroda, Va. (plumbing)
• Roman Grier, Viega, Broomfield, Colo., (plumbing)
• Victor Hatcher, Tyler Pipe and Coupling, Tyler, Texas (plumbing)
• Warren Lupson, Lupson Assoc., Silver Spring, Md. (HVACR)
• Harold Moret, Copper Development Association, McLean, Va. (plumbing)
• John Mullen, International Association of Plumbing & Mechanical Officials, Ontario, Calif. (plumbing)
• Patrick Peterson, TOTO, Morrow, Ga. (plumbing)
• Larry Shoemaker, Deluxe Plumbing & Heating, Bethlehem, Pa. (plumbing)
• Jeff Voss, Jeff’s Plumbing and Repair, Boone, N.C. (plumbing)
• Jamie Simpson, Schaal Heating & Cooling, Des Moines, Iowa (HVACR)
• James Walls, Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute, Garland, Texas (plumbing)
The plumbing competition was made possible by the following generous industry sponsors: AB&I Foundry; Bradford White; Copper Development Association, Inc.; Rheem; Tyler Pipe & Coupling; Zoeller Pump Company; with additional support from American Supply Association; Delta Faucet Company, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO); Kohler Company; Moen; and SupplyHouse.com.
Prizes, materials and on-site support was provided by: AB&I Foundry; Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute; Charlotte Pipe & Foundry; Copper Development Association; IAPMO; Kohler Company; Miller Mechanical Contractors and Engineers, LLC; Milwaukee Tool Company; Oatey; PHCC Educational Foundation – PHCC Academy®; Sioux Chief Manufacturing; Tyler Pipe & Coupling; and United Association Local 72 in Atlanta.
About PHCC Educational Foundation
The PHCC Educational Foundation, a partnership of contractors, manufacturers, and wholesalers, was founded in 1987 to serve the plumbing-heating-cooling industry by preparing contractors and their employees to meet the challenges of a constantly changing marketplace. Information on the Foundation’s training and educational programs can be found at https://phccfoundation.org.
PHCC - National
The PHCC National Association, formed in 1883, provides legislative advocacy, education, and training to approximately 3,500 plumbing and HVACR businesses and 65,000 technicians. Members of PHCC have access to a wide variety of services designed to increase their professionalism, grow their business, and improve profitability. For more information about PHCC, visit phccweb.org.
Last modified: June 30, 2023